Proposed Form CPO-PQR Released
For your review, we have published the proposed Form CPO-PQR which can be found here: Form CPO-PQR
As recently proposed by the CFTC, registered commodity pool operators will be required to file proposed From CPO-PQR on either a quarterly or annual basis depending on assets under management and scope of business activities. There are special rules for those managers who are also registered as an investment adviser with the SEC and who file Form PF.
This post will provide an overview of the major aspects of the Form COP-PQR as it is currently proposed.
Who is required to file Form CPO-PQR?
All CPOs are required to file at least parts of Form CPO-PQR.
When do managers need to file Form CPO-PQR?
Most managers will need to file some parts of Form CPO-PQR on a quarterly basis. Some managers, depending on assets under management, will need to file additional sections of the form on either an annual or quarterly basis.
The sections of the form will need to be filed within 15 days of the end of the quarter; however, for some managers, some sections will not need to be completed until 90 days after
the end of the quarter.
What are the sections of Form CPO-PQR?
Form CPO-PQR has 3 major sections. F
- Schedule A – must be filed by all CPOs which operate at least one pool during the quarter within 15 days of the end of the quarter.
- Schedule B – must be filed by Mid-Sized CPOs annually within 90 days of the end of the year and Large CPOs quarterly within 15 days of the end of the quarter.
- Schedule C – must be filed by Large CPOs quarterly within 15 days of the end of the quarter.
A Mid-Sized CPO is a CPO that had at least $150 million in pool AUM as of the close of business on any day during a quarter.
A Large CPO is a CPO that had at least $1 billion in pool AUM as of the close of business on any day during a quarter.
Note: Schedule B and Schedule C may not have to be filed with the CFTC if the CPO has completed certain sections of Form PF and meet other certain requirements.
Details of the Schedules
Part 1 – includes information with respect to the firm such as name, NFA ID #, contact person, chief compliance officer, # of employees, # of owners, # of pools
Part 2 – includes information on each pool which was operated during the quarter. For each commodity pool this information includes:
- Identifying information: mame of pool, NFA ID#, jurisdiction of organization, fiscal year end, structure
- Outside Administrator: name, contact info, NFA ID#, start of relationship, services provided, % of pool assets valued by outside administrator
- Broker – name, NFA ID #, contact info
- Other service providers – carrying broker, trading manager, custodian, auditor, marketer
- Information regarding assets over quarte
- Beginning AUM & NAV
- Ending AUM & NAV
- Income over quarter
- Additions, withdrawals and redemptions over quarter
- Monthly ROR calculated in accordance with CFTC regulations
- Schedule of investments – there is a drill down on cash, equities, alternatives, fixed income, derivatives, options, investment funds, longs/shorts, positive/negative OTE, long/short option value, pool positions exceeding 5% of NAV
- Subscriptions & redemption information
Schedule B applies to both Mid-Sized and Large CPOs. The information is essentially the same information as required in Sections 1.b and 1.c of Form PF. The following information is required for each pool which is managed by the CPO:
- Pool Information – name, NFA ID#, strategy, % of assets traded using algorythim, investor information
- Borrowings & types of creditors – total borrowings, listing of creditors
- Counterparty credit exposure – aggregate counterparty exposure, listing of counterparties
- Trading & clearing – for derivatives, securities and repos
- Value of aggregate derivative positions
Schedule C is only completed by Large CPOs. Schedule C will not need to be completed if the Large CPO has completed certain parts of Form PF.
Part 1 – the following information is required for each CPO:
- Geographical breakdown of pools investments
- Turnover rate of aggregate portfolio of pools
- Duration of pools’ fixed income investments
Part 2 – the following information is required for each Large Pool:
- Basic information – name, NFA ID#, unencumbered cash at end of month, monthly open positions
- Liquidity of portfolio
- Pool counterparty credit exposure
- Pool risk metrics
- Pool borrowing information
- Pool derivative positions and posted collateral
- Pool financing liquidity
- Information on pool investors
- Duration of fixed income assets
Cole-Frieman & Mallon LLP provides comprehensive legal services for CPOs including completing Form CPO-PQR. Bart Mallon can be reached directly at 415-868-5345.