Question: hedge fund manager and registration

Question: I am a investment adviser registered in Texas and I want to start a hedge fund – do I have to register in each state which I have investors?

Answer: Generally no. If you are a Texas-registered investment adviser (note: to be distinguished from an SEC-registered investment adviser), and you have no place of business in another state, you will not have to register in any other states. However, please note that if you sell interests in your hedge fund, you will need to make sure you comply with all of the “blue sky” laws with regard to the state in which the interests are sold. This will generally entail making a Form D filing for states where the investor resides. Your law firm will be able to make this Form D filing for you on your behalf.

3 thoughts on “Question: hedge fund manager and registration

  1. Pingback: Important Hedge Fund Articles — Hedge Fund Law Blog

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.